Click HERE to purchase the pattern through Ravelry
ExPiriment is a circular/semicircular shawl that features a simple yet beautiful lace design.
It is shaped using Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Pi Shawl construction method: increases are only worked each time the row count doubles, which makes this pattern easy to memorize and follow.
The semicircular shawl is knitted flat, top down. The circular shawl is knitted in the round, from the center out.
The pattern provides instructions for making four versions of the shawl:
- Semicircular or Circular Garter Versions—reversible shawls (right and wrong sides look the same), knitted in garter stitch;
- Semicircular or Circular Stockinette Versions—non-reversible shawls (right and wrong sides look different), knitted in stockinette stitch.
The sizing of the finished shawl will be achieved by your stitch gauge. Using different yarn weight and gauge as specified in the pattern will yield the proper dimensions for the chosen size.
- Small (lace weight)—a mid-sized shoulder shawl
- Medium (fingering weight)—big shawl, that will fully cover your shoulders and back
- Medium (lace weight)—big shawl, that will fully cover your shoulders and back
- Large (fingering weight)—throw blanket
Approximately 925  yards (850  m) of lace [fingering] weight wool yarn.
Approximately 1800  yards (1650  m) of lace [fingering] weight wool yarn.
- Knit Picks Shadow (100% merino wool; 440 yards (402 m) / 50 g)
- Knit Picks Gloss Lace (70% merino Wool, 30% silk; 440 yards (402 m) / 50 g)
- Malabrigo Yarn Lace (100% merino wool; 470 yards (430 m) / 50 g)
- Malabrigo Yarn Silkpaca (70% Alpaca, 30% Silk; 420 yards (384 m) / 50 g)
- Garnstudio Drops Lace (70% Alpaca, 30% Silk; 437 yards (400 m) / 50 g)
- Cascade Yarns Alpaca Lace (100% Alpaca; 437 yards (400 m) / 50 g)
- Madelinetosh Prairie (100% merino wool; 840 yards (768 m) / 113 g)
- Knit Picks Palette (100% wool; 231 yards (211 m) / 50 g)
- Knit Picks Gloss Fingering (70% merino wool, 30% silk; 220 yards (201 m) / 50 g)
- Knit Picks Stroll Solids, Heathers & Twists (75% merino wool, 25% nylon; 231 yards (211 m) / 50 g)
- Cascade Yarns Heritage Solids (75% merino wool, 25% nylon; 231 yards (211 m) / 50 g)
- Madelinetosh Tosh Sock Yarn (100% superwash merino wool; 395 yards (361 m) / 100 g)
- Malabrigo Yarn Mechita (100% merino wool; 420 yards (384 m) / 100 g)
Yellow/lilac sample shown in size S, garter version, is knitted with 100% organic mohair (580 yards (530 m)/100 g) in hand dyed colorway.
Light gray sample shown in size M, garter version, is knitted with YarnArt Bianca Saphira (100% wool; 437 yards (400 m)/100 g) in colorway #456.
Light pink sample shown in size M, stockinette version, is knitted with Knit Picks Luminance (100% silk; 439 yards (400 m)/50 g) in Grace colorway.
Measured from relaxed fabric after blocking:
20 sts and 28 rows = 4” (10 cm) in garter stitch
15 sts and 22 rows = 4” (10 cm) in garter stitch
Exact gauge is not crucial.
- 40” (100 cm) or 47” (120 cm) circular needles in size needed to obtain gauge
- One straight or double pointed gauge size needle
- Double pointed needles (DPNs) in size needed to obtain gauge
- 20” (50 cm) or 24” (60 cm) gauge size circular needles
- 32” (80 cm) or 40” (100 cm) gauge size circular needles
Size US 6 (4 mm)
Size US 8 (5 mm)
TOOLS AND NOTIONS
- 2 stitch markers
- 1 needle point protector/needle stopper/end cap for interchangeable circular needles
- Blunt tapestry needle
- Tools for blocking the finished shawl
- (optional) A piece of waste yarn for holding stitches for Provisional Cast On
- (Semicircular shawl only) 1 removable stitch marker or a safety pin
- (Circular shawl only) Gauge size crochet hook for Emily Ocker’s Circular Cast On
Approximately 65  in (165  cm) wingspan, 30  in (76  cm) height at center spine for shawl worked in lace [fingering] weight yarn.
Approximately 60  in (154  cm) in diameter for shawl [blanket] worked in lace [fingering] weight yarn.
- Lace Knitting
- Knitted Lace
- Reading charts
- Provisional Cast On
- (Semicircular shawl only) Garter Tab Cast On
- (Circular shawl only) Emily Ocker’s Circular Cast On
- (Circular shawl only) Grafting/weaving/kitchener stitch
This pattern is intended for personal use only and is subject to copyright. You may not sell or distribute electronic or paper copies of this pattern.