Click HERE to purchase the pattern through Ravelry
Drogonwing is a semicircular shawl that is constructed out of four even triangular sections to resemble the shape of the dragon’s wing. The lace pattern is designed to resemble the overlapping scales of the dragon’s skin. The shawl is knitted top down.
The pattern provides instructions for making the shawl in three sizes—S [M, L]:
- Size S will give you a small shawlette,
- Size M—a mid-sized shoulder shawl,
- Size L—a big shawl, that will fully cover your shoulders and back.
Approximately 650 [900, 1200] yards (600 [810, 1070] m) of lace weight wool yarn.
- Knit Picks Shadow (100% merino wool; 440 yards (402 m) / 50 g)
- Malabrigo Yarn Lace (100% merino wool; 470 yards (430 m) / 50 g)
- Malabrigo Yarn Silkpaca (70% Alpaca, 30% Silk; 420 yards (384 m) / 50 g)
- Garnstudio Drops Lace (70% Alpaca, 30% Silk; 437 yards (400 m) / 50 g)
- Cascade Yarns Alpaca Lace (100% Alpaca; 437 yards (400 m) / 50 g)
- Madelinetosh Prairie (100% merino wool; 840 yards (768 m) / 113 g)
Dark red sample shown in size L is knitted with lace weight yarn (100% organic mohair; 580 yards (530 m) / 100 g) in hand dyed colorway.
Green sample shown in size S is knitted with Malabrigo Yarn Lace in Arco Iris colorway.
Measured from relaxed fabric after blocking:
- 18 sts and 30 rows = 4” (10 cm) in lace pattern
- 19 sts and 34 rows = 4” (10 cm) in garter stitch
40” (100 cm) or 47” (120 cm) circular needles in size needed to obtain gauge; exact gauge is not crucial
Size US 4 (3.5 mm)
TOOLS AND NOTIONS
- A piece of waste yarn for holding stitches
- 8-16 stitch markers
- Blunt tapestry needle
- T-pins or other sewing pins for blocking
Approximately 54 [65, 75] in (137 [164, 190] cm) wingspan, 26 [31, 35] in (69 [82, 95] cm) height at center spine, relaxed after blocking.
- Provisional Cast On
- Garter Tab Cast On
- Lace Knitting
- Reading charts
This pattern is intended for personal use only and is subject to copyright. You may not sell or distribute electronic or paper copies of this pattern.